Ever felt like your industry is just too saturated to stand out? Like you're just a tiny drop in a massive ocean? You're not alone.
Nearly every freelancer has a moment (or ten) where they doubt themselves and their ability to stand out in a crowded “red ocean”.
That's why I was so excited to talk to James Martin from Made By James.
James is a designer who's had immense success in the crowded niche of logo design.
He's found a way to not just stand out, but thrive in an incredibly competitive niche. James is averaging around 1,000 inquiries from potential clients every single year, and this has allowed him to cherry-pick the best gigs and reject the “bill paying work” that many freelancers are forced to say yes to.
Whether you're a designer or not, this episode will contain a lot of fantastic advice from someone who's built an incredible, long-lasting career as a freelancer.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How James Martin has thrived for nearly 2 decades as a creative
- Why niching down too early is worse than not niching at all
- How to stand out in a saturated market
- Passion vs. systems and habit
- Why it's dangerous to rely on social media
- Giving your clients the most value they can afford
- Why it's time to raise your prices right now
- Relationships in business
- The difference between survival and thriving